More Than A Story Set
Now more than ever, our children need to know, understand, and embrace the truths of Scripture. More Than a Story: Exploring the Message of the Bible with Children is a new kind of Bible resource for children — exploring both the breadth and depth of Scripture. Key doctrines of the Christian faith are emphasized and clearly explained, all leading to the glorious realities of the gospel. Actual texts of Scripture are woven into each chapter, exposing children to the variety of literary genres, events, people, places, and themes of the Bible.
Though the Bible is full of stories, it is more than a story. It is the authoritative Word of God that, throughout its pages, proclaims and magnifies the majestic character of God, His work in this world, and His plan of redemption for sinful men through His Son, Jesus.
What makes this resource unique
- Child-appropriate without compromising the text: There is a tendency when writing for children to make the resource too fun and engaging, so that it’s “child-friendly.” Sadly, children are often left with a delightful and memorable storyline but one that leaves out or minimizes essential biblical truths. This resource uses child-appropriate language to creatively convey biblical stories and truths, without compromising the nature or intent of the text.
- A clear presentation of key doctrines of the Christian faith: Throughout this series, there are numerous phrases and statements highlighted in bold font. These serve to develop a systematic theology for children by highlighting key doctrines essential for the Christian life — doctrines concerning God, creation, man, the fall, redemption, providence, the church, and many more.
- A serious & sober portrayal of the problem of sin: One of the unique features of More Than a Story is its depiction of the essence, pervasiveness, and problem of sin. Parents are encouraged to embrace the importance of this and see it as a way to point children towards their utter dependence on Christ.
- Guides children in how to study the Bible: The book is written in an interactive manner that prompts children to observe and ask specific questions of the text and meant to encourage children to be eagerly and actively engaged. This also helps critical thinking skills that will serve a lifetime of biblical study as they grow and mature.
- Grounded in the Gospel: Every chapter in this resource is grounded in the glorious reality of the Gospel, pointing Christ-ward.
- Addresses the mind, heart, and will: It isn’t enough for a child to simply “know” the Bible — God’s Word must also be embraced by the heart and acted upon by the will. Woven throughout every chapter are questions guiding your child to think: how does God want me to respond? what should my heart feel and desire? what does God want me to be and do?.
Author Sally Michael shares her vision for this project: “I want to bring integration between the parts of the Bible and the whole. The Bible is one story. I want to give them that redemptive storyline and tie the stories together in a chronological thread of repeated themes in the Bible, showing how individual stories are connected to the grand overarching message.”
Please note: Scripture quotations are taken from ESV.
- Format: 2 Hardcover Books
- Publisher: Truth:78, 2021